Prime Medicine is a leading biotechnology company dedicated to creating and delivering the next generation of gene editing therapies to patients. The Company is leveraging its proprietary Prime Editing platform, a versatile, precise and efficient gene editing technology, to develop a new class of differentiated, one-time, potentially curative genetic therapies. Designed to make only the right edit at the right position within a gene while minimizing unwanted DNA modifications, Prime Editors have the potential to repair almost all types of genetic mutations and work in many different tissues, organs and cell types.
Prime Medicine is currently progressing a diversified portfolio of eighteen programs initially focused on genetic diseases with a fast, direct path to treating patients or with a high unmet need because they cannot be treated using other gene-editing approaches. Over time, the Company intends to maximize Prime Editing’s therapeutic potential and advance potentially curative therapeutic options to patients for a broad spectrum of diseases. For more information, please visit www.primemedicine.com.
Prime Medicine is seeking a passionate and technically accomplished Associate Scientist to join our guide RNA chemistry team and work with an enthusiastic team of highly skilled scientists in a dynamic and high-growth company. This position is a hands-on role, and the successful candidate will have deep knowledge and experience in long oligonucleotide purification and downstream processing to advance our cutting-edge gene editing drug discovery programs. The ideal candidate will work under the supervision of a senior staff and/or independently and help to grow our internal guide RNA synthesis capabilities. Core competencies include an ability to function in an interdisciplinary and fast-paced startup environment coupled with a proactive and collaborative approach. This position will be based in our Watertown, MA location.
- Purification and analysis of research scale long oligonucleotides of various chemistries using chromatographic techniques.
- Execute purification, desalting, lyophilization, and analysis of long guide RNAs with chemical modifications using various techniques, including reverse-phase and ion-exchange HPLCs, UPLC, LCMS, etc.
- HPLC and UPLC methods development for the purification and analysis of long oligonucleotides and their conjugates.
- Supporting solid-phase synthesis of guide RNA with chemical modifications using automated synthesizers such as MerMade 12, Dr. Oligo 48, etc.
- Operate, troubleshoot, and maintain laboratory equipment, purification, and analytical instruments such as Agilent HPLC system, AKTA purifier, UPLC, LCMS, and other state-of-the-art laboratory equipment, ensuring their proper use and performance.
- Prepare various buffers accurately and consistently for guide RNA purification and analysis.
- Track progress, generate status updates, organize experimental data, and present in both written and oral formats at cross-functional team meetings.
- Prepare SOPs and maintain a well-documented electronic laboratory notebook.
- Conduct laboratory experiments safely and efficiently, ensuring a safe working environment for colleagues.
- Capable of performing repetitive tasks and assigned duties. Highly motivated and productive in a fast-paced work environment.
- BS or BA in Chemistry or related fields with 1 – 3 years of chemistry laboratory experience in an industrial or academic setting; or M.S. in Chemistry or related fields with excellent understanding of nucleic acids and analytical chemistry and 1 – 2 years of chemistry laboratory experience.
- Excellent experience in oligonucleotide purification techniques, including reverse-phase and ion-exchange chromatography.
- Strong analytical skills and experience analyzing oligo nucleotide samples using LCMS, UPLC, and other relevant analytical techniques.
- Solid-phase synthesis of long oligonucleotides using automated synthesizers is a plus.
- Proficiency in handling, troubleshooting, and routine maintenance of critical instrumentation such as automated HPLCs, UPLCs, LCMS, oligonucleotide synthesizers, etc.
- Excellent attention to detail and a commitment to producing pure and high-quality guide RNA oligonucleotides.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a team environment.
- High flexibility and work well in a fast-paced work environment.
- Proficient in data analysis and ELN record-keeping, with good documentation practices.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Detail-oriented and excellent problem-solving abilities.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.