Prime Medicine is a leading biotechnology company dedicated to creating and delivering the next generation of gene editing therapies to patients. The Company is leveraging its proprietary Prime Editing platform, a versatile, precise and efficient gene editing technology, to develop a new class of differentiated, one-time, potentially curative genetic therapies. Designed to make only the right edit at the right position within a gene while minimizing unwanted DNA modifications, Prime Editors have the potential to repair almost all types of genetic mutations and work in many different tissues, organs and cell types.
Prime Medicine is currently progressing a diversified portfolio of eighteen programs initially focused on genetic diseases with a fast, direct path to treating patients or with a high unmet need because they cannot be treated using other gene-editing approaches. Over time, the Company intends to maximize Prime Editing’s therapeutic potential and advance potentially curative therapeutic options to patients for a broad spectrum of diseases. For more information, please visit www.primemedicine.com.
Co-Op Assignment Overview
Prime Medicine is seeking a co-op for the Spring 2024 semester with an interest in nucleic acid R&D to join the process chemistry team. The candidate will be involved in day-to-day routine activities for chemical synthesis, deprotection and characterization of Prime’s long guide RNA including preparation of amidite solutions & reagents for RNA synthesis, setting them up on automated DNA/RNA synthesizer instruments. The candidate will learn and generate data on RNA processing, document data in the Benchling, share/present the results in the team meetings.
We want curious problem solvers who enjoy working on exciting projects, working within a team and are passionate about developing genetic editing technologies to better human health and well-being.
- Learn to perform chemical synthesis and deprotection of long guide RNA (ribonucleic acid) for multiple sequences using different chemistries.
- Preparation of reagents, phosphoramidite solution and set up synthesis on the automated DNA/RNA synthesizers.
- Routine analysis of crude RNA oligonucleotides with various lab instruments such as UPLC, LC-MS, Nano drop etc. followed by crude UF/DF using tangential flow filtration (TFF) system.
- Maintain Oligosynthesizers including AKTA OP10, AKTAOP100 and other lab instruments such as UPLC, Nano drop. in good operational condition after use.
- Document data in the Benchling, write a project summary report in brief, and share results at team meetings.
- Must be enrolled in the undergraduate/advanced degree program at the time of Co-op program
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, good organization skills, the ability to multi-tasks, and work as a team player and/or independently.
- A passion for learning and contributing to multiple facets of a program
- Prior hands-on, lab-based internship/Co-op experience.
- Familiarity working in a chemical laboratory and experience in organic chemistry laboratory procedures and instrumentation. Experience with nucleic acid chemistry is a plus.
- Familiarity with Microsoft excel, PowerPoint.
What We Offer:
- A cutting-edge scientific team open to mentorship and networking
- Full reimbursement for monthly commuting costs including subway, commuter rail, parking, Bluebikes, etc.
- Participation in regular scientific seminars with industry experts
- Full participation in employee activities including learning and development offerings, social activities, etc.
NOTE: We are currently not considering co-op candidates outside of the local Boston/Cambridge area.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.