Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Co-Op Assignment Overview
Prime Medicine is seeking a co-op for the Fall 2022 cycle with experience in Cell Biology to join the Stem Cell Biology team. The candidate will join and contribute to a multidisciplinary program team focused on developing iPSC-derived ex vivo models to interrogate the effect of prime editing of disease-associated genetic mutations on restoration of gene expression and protein function in cell types of interest. The primary responsibility for this role will be contributing to the development of in vitro differentiation protocols, production and validation of iPSC-derived cell types, development of bioassays for phenotypic screening assays
- Maintenance, QC characterization and banking of human iPSC cell lines (hiPSC)
- Differentiation of patient-derived iPSC cells into 2D and 3D cell lineages.
- Contribute to the establishment and optimization of differentiation protocols and phenotypic screening bioassays.
- Apply/optimize prime editing to correct disease-causing mutations in iPSC-derived progeny
- Execute and interpret multiple experimental workflows including the standard cell biology and stem cell biology methods.
- Assist with general lab management and organizational duties such as preparing/organizing essential lab stocks and working solutions.
- Data analysis, interpretation, and presentations within the team
- B.S. candidate in Cell & Molecular Biology or related major
- Basic knowledge of cell and molecular biology, biochemistry.
- Mammalian cell culture
- Excellent communication and troubleshooting skills and the ability to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Hands-on experience with cell culture is preferred
- Experience with basic cell biology assays (flow cytometry, qPCR, western blotting, immunofluorescence/immunohistochemistry)
- Familiarity with MS Excel and PowerPoint for data analysis
- Independently motivated, detail-oriented, and excellent problem-solving abilities
- Proactive and collaborative mindset, exhibiting an enthusiastic team attitude.
- Meticulous record keeping, documentation, and reporting of research.
What We Offer:
- A cutting-edge scientific team open to mentorship and networking
- Full reimbursement for monthly commuting costs including subway, commuter rail, parking, Bluebikes, etc.
- Participation in regular scientific seminars with industry experts
- Full participation in employee activities including learning and development offerings, social activities, etc.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.