Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Co-Op Assignment Overview
Prime Medicine is seeking a co-op for the Fall 2023 semester with experience in molecular biology to join the Prime Editing Platform team. The qualified candidate will work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative team and use a variety of approaches to broadly advance Prime Editing capabilities for correcting large mutational hotspots associated with disease. In this position, the candidate can expect to develop a deep understanding of CRISPR gene editing technologies and learn a diverse skillset in cell and molecular biology, protein engineering, and next-generation sequencing.
- Construct and test next-generation Prime Editors
- Plasmid cloning (PCR, Gibson Assembly, bacterial transformation)
- Mammalian cell culture and transfection
- Processing genomic DNA for sequencing analysis (extraction, PCR, next-generation sequencing)
- Molecular biology assay development (e.g., RT-qPCR)
- Data analysis, interpretation, and presentations within the team
- B.S. or M.S. candidate in Biochemistry, Cell & Molecular Biology, or related major
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology, cell biology, and biochemistry
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Experience with molecular biology assays (cloning, DNA extraction and cleanup, PCR)
- Hands-on experience with mammalian cell culture
- Independently motivated and excellent problem-solving skills
- Competency with Excel and Powerpoint for data analysis and presentation
What We Offer:
- A cutting-edge scientific team open to mentorship and networking
- Full reimbursement for monthly commuting costs including subway, commuter rail, parking, Bluebikes, etc.
- Participation in regular scientific seminars with industry experts
- Full participation in employee activities including learning and development offerings, social activities, etc.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.