Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Co-Op Assignment Overview
Prime Medicine is seeking a local co-op for the Fall 2023 semester with experience in molecular and cellular biology to join the AAV engineering team. In this position, you will play a critical role in building Prime Medicine’s AAV-based delivery platform to drive gene editing therapeutics to patients for multiple indications. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced research program and will be comfortable working cross-functionally with colleagues with a diverse range of expertise.
The successful candidate will contribute to multiple aspects of optimizing our delivery platform, to include vector engineering, production, QC, and in vitro and in vivo testing. You will learn important molecular and cell biology skills, as well as the complete picture of AAV-based gene editing, witness the marriage of the AAV vector and Prime Editor, and master the technology of next generation gene editing.
- Perform a variety of molecular and cell biology activities, including cloning, AAV production, and AAV quality characterization, utilizing relevant techniques: PCR, DNA isolation/purification, restriction digest, Gibson assembly, NGS sample preparation, aseptic cell culture technique, etc.
- Contribute to the scientific discussions and output of the team
- Assist scientists in the design of new AAV vector components.
- Assist with experimental design and conduct experiments to characterize newly designed vectors and impact on efficacy and safety.
- Collect and analyze experimental data, compile experimental summaries in an Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN), and present results to the larger team
- Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and procedures
- Motivation and passion for driving effective gene editing therapeutic to patients.
- B.S. or M.S. candidate in Cell & Molecular Biology or related major
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to describe research clearly and concisely to a cross-disciplinary audience
- Experience conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing experimental data, and presenting results to the larger team
- Goal-driven, with strong organizational skills, including record keeping, documentation, and reporting of research
- Highly adaptable and comfortable in an environment with dynamic priority demands
- Ability to independently learn, understand, and utilize current and developing industry practices, techniques, and standards in a rapidly advancing field
- Self-motivated and effective at managing multiple projects in parallel
- Rigorous and conscientious, exhibiting care and thoroughness in data interpretation
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Familiarity with AAV vectors, gene therapy, synthetic biology, or biotechnology a plus
- Experience in maintaining mammalian cell culture and performing transfections
- Hands-on molecular biology experience, including cloning, NGS library preparation, and related techniques
- Familiar with R studio
What We Offer:
- A cutting-edge scientific team open to mentorship and networking
- Full reimbursement for monthly commuting costs including subway, commuter rail, parking, Bluebikes, etc.
- Participation in regular scientific seminars with industry experts
- Full participation in employee activities including learning and development offerings, social activities, etc.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.