Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Co-Op Assignment Overview
Prime Medicine is seeking a Spring 2023 semester co-op to join the Prime Editing Pharmacology team. The candidate will be involved in the planning, logistics and analysis of in-vitro and in-vivo pharmacology studies of our Prime Editors.
The candidate will help assess the in-vitro and in-vivo effects of editing formulations using RT-PCR, ELISA and LCMS bioanalytical assays. The scientific mentorship style will follow a three-step process, wherein the co-op will first observe the scientist conduct the experiment, next be observed while s/he/they conduct the experiment and lastly independently carryout experiments with review from the mentor. The co-op will also have weekly meetings with the mentor(s) to review experimental data and discuss weekly plans.
We are looking for curious problem solvers who enjoy working on exciting projects, working within a team, and are passionate about developing genetic editing technologies to better human health and well-being.
- Perform a variety of research activities requiring biochemistry and molecular biology knowledge and skills, including RT-PCR and LCMS, as well as immuno-assays such as ELISA
- Assist in experimental design and execution, including preparation of materials and reagents, and assist in the Pharmacology Teams’ assay development
- Conduct experiments, collect and analyze experimental data, compile experimental summaries in an Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN), and present results to the larger team
- Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and procedures
- Finishing a BS or MS in Molecular Biology/Bio-Engineering/Biochemistry
- Experience in basic molecular biology (eg. DNA and RNA isolation and analysis)
- Experience conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing experimental data, compiling experimental summaries in an Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN), and presenting results
- Experience in data analysis (eg. knowledge of basic statistical tests and approaches)
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, as well as ability to work independently and within a team
- Ability to learn, understand, and utilize current and developing industry practices, techniques, and standards in a rapidly advancing field
- Familiarity with gene and protein engineering, gene therapy a plus
- Proficiency in molecular biology skills, including rtPCR
- Experience conducting and analyzing data for in-vivo studies
What We Offer:
- A cutting-edge scientific team dedicated to mentorship and networking
- Full reimbursement for monthly commuting costs including subway, commuter rail, parking, Bluebikes, etc.
- Participation in regular scientific seminars with industry experts
- Full participation in employee activities including learning and development offerings, social activities, etc.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.