Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Prime Medicine is seeking a co-op for the Spring 2023 semester with experience in experience in molecular biology to join the New Opportunities team. The candidate will be involved in conducting initial Hit Finding and/or Hit Validations screens, helping to translate new developments (NexGen prime editors and screening methods) to enable project advancement. In so doing, s/he/they will learn to design and clone pegRNAs for screening as well as work to optimize delivery of prime editor and pegRNAs in cell lines, primary and iPSC-derived disease-relevant cell models using an array of delivery methods (lipofection, nucleofection, viral delivery, etc). S/he/they will then validate the in-vitro efficacy using next-generation sequencing (NGS) and/or PCR assays. The scientific mentorship style will follow a three-step process, wherein the co-op will first observe the scientist conduct the experiment, next be observed while s/he/they conducts the experiment and lastly independently carryout experiments with review from the mentor. The co-op will also have weekly meetings with the mentor(s) to review experimental data and discuss weekly plans.
We want curious problem solvers who enjoy working on exciting projects, working within a team and are passionate about developing genetic editing technologies to better human health and well-being.
- pegRNA design, cloning and sequence verification
- Performing screens in cell lines and/or primary and iPSC models
- Preparing NGS libraries, performing Illumina sequencing and data analysis
- Experience with molecular cloning
- Experience with PCR (NGS library preparation experience a plus)
- Cell culture experience (cell line maintenance, delivery via lipofection/nucleofection)
- Excellent troubleshooting and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team
- Prior experience with molecular biology (DNA/RNA isolation methods, Gibson assembly, Golden gate cloning, bacterial transformation)
- Experience with Illumina sequencing
- Wet lab experience and coding skills
What We Offer:
- A cutting-edge scientific team dedicated to mentorship and networking
- Full reimbursement for monthly commuting costs including subway, commuter rail, parking, Bluebikes, etc.
- Participation in regular scientific seminars with industry experts
- Full participation in employee activities including learning and development offerings, social activities, etc.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.