Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Prime Medicine is seeking a co-op for the Spring 2023 semester with experience in molecular and cell biology to join the Ocular Targets Team. In this position, you will play a critical role in building Prime Medicine’s Ocular Targets Program and will be involved in testing and optimizing the use of our prime editing technology to treat ocular disease. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced research program and will be comfortable working cross-functionally with colleagues with a diverse range of expertise.
We are looking for curious problem solvers who enjoy working on exciting projects, working within a team, and are passionate about developing genetic editing technologies to better human health and well-being.
- Perform a variety of research activities requiring molecular biology skills including PCR, qPCR, and DNA and RNA isolation
- Contribute to the scientific discussions and output of the team
- Assist in the design and assembly of molecular reagents and maintenance of cell culture
- Assist in the development of assays for the Ocular Targets Team
- Conduct experiments, collect and analyze experimental data, compile experimental summaries in an Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN), and present results to the larger team
- Document, present, and communicate scientific findings
- Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and procedures
- Effective communication skills, with the ability to describe research clearly and concisely to a cross-disciplinary audience
- Experience conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing experimental data, compiling experimental summaries in an Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN), and presenting results to the larger team
- Goal-driven, with strong organizational skills, including record keeping, documentation, and reporting of research
- Highly adaptable and comfortable in an environment with dynamic priority demands
- Ability to independently learn, understand, and utilize current and developing industry practices, techniques, and standards in a rapidly advancing field
- Self-motivated and effective at managing multiple projects in parallel
- Rigorous and conscientious, exhibiting care and thoroughness in data interpretation
- Familiarity with gene and protein engineering, gene therapy, synthetic biology, or biotechnology a plus
- Experience in maintaining mammalian cell cultures and performing transfections
- Proficiency in molecular biology skills, including PCR, qPCR, and DNA and RNA isolation
- Experience conducting and analyzing data for in vivo studies
- Experience collaborating effectively within cross-functional teams
- Experience with next-generation sequencing sample preparation and data analysis
What We Offer:
- A cutting-edge scientific team dedicated to mentorship and networking
- Full reimbursement for monthly commuting costs including subway, commuter rail, parking, Bluebikes, etc.
- Participation in regular scientific seminars with industry experts
- Full participation in employee activities including learning and development offerings, social activities, etc
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.