Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
We are currently seeking a talented and highly motivated associate-level cell and molecular biologist to join our preclinical development of nucleic acid-based therapeutics. The candidate will play a key role in a multidisciplinary, dynamic program team focused on developing engineered, prime edited therapies targeting the liver. In this position, the individual will employ our cutting-edge Prime Editing tools to develop gene therapies under the guidance and support of an experienced team dedicated to teaching and training junior scientists. The candidate will apply her/his deep expertise to evaluate and optimize prime editing in human hepatocytes and characterize cell biology of edited cells (phenotype, function, and differentiation) using in vitro and in vivo assays. He/she will design and implement studies to optimize the potency and efficacy of novel gene therapy vectors and other nucleic acid delivery modalities for prime editing, including developing strategies to support liver-specific delivery.
The successful candidate will have strong knowledge and technical skills in molecular biology and mammalian cell biology. The ideal candidate is highly motivated, collaborative and organized, with great enthusiasm for science directed at developing curative medicines.
- Support the screening of Prime Editors to target specific disease-causing mutations.
- Carry out various cell and molecular biology techniques to prepare basic materials for various assays (e.g. molecular cloning, transformation, plasmid prep, primer design, PCR, agarose gel electrophoresis, DNA/RNA purification, etc.).
- Experience in screening, next-generation sequencing prep/analysis is a plus
- Maintain mammalian cell culture and perform different types of transfections on the cells.
- Experience with primary hepatocyte culture is a plus.
- Order, register, track, aliquot, and organize reagent inventory, and perform QC testing on new reagent lots as needed.
- Keep meticulous experimental records in electronic lab notebooks.
- Analyze experimental data. Compile experimental summaries and make presentations.
- Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and procedures, assist in maintaining general laboratory functionality
- A BS/MS in Biology/Engineering or related discipline with ideally 3+ years of experience with molecular biology, biochemistry and cell biology.
- 1 or more years biotech industry experience is a big plus
- Experience in molecular biology and biochemistry (primer design, PCR, RT-PCR, restriction digestion, E. coli. transformation, electrophoresis, nucleic acid purification, western blot).
- Experience in mammalian cell culture and transfection (experience with primary hepatocytes is a plus).
- Familiarity with DNA analysis software (e.g. Snapgene, Geneious, Primer 3), data analysis software (e.g. Graphpad Prism), Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and literature searching tools (e.g. PubMed).
- Strong organizational, critical thinking and analytic and troubleshooting skills, with the ability to troubleshoot experiments, learn from mistakes, and apply those learnings to next experimental design
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills, self-awareness, and ability to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.