Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
Co-Op Assignment Overview
Prime Medicine is seeking a co-op for the Fall 2023 semester with experience in molecular biology techniques to join the Analytical Development team. The candidate will gain hands on experience with a range of analytical techniques and assay development and play a key role in solving complex analytical challenges related to our prime editing components. This is a unique position with the opportunity to contribute directly to the advancement of prime editing programs towards the clinic.
We want curious problem solvers who enjoy working on exciting projects, working within a team and are passionate about developing genetic editing technologies to better human health and well-being.
- Primary responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, supporting the development and optimization of robust molecular assays: qPCR, ddPCR, and other molecular assays for the characterization and release of cell and gene therapy drug products, drug substance, and critical starting materials
- Preparing samples and running molecular assays, experimental design and data analysis and interpretation with supervision as needed
- Proactively seek out and explore areas for optimization, improvement, and automation in molecular-based assays and protocols
- Document, present, and communicate experimental data and conclusions in electronic notebook
- Collaborate with teammates across the organization and program teams to support development of needed assays
- Adhere to all laboratory safety requirements and procedures, assist in maintaining general laboratory functionality
- Flexibility to support taking on new projects and troubleshooting as needs arise and priorities are dynamic
- Currently enrolled in B.S./M.S. program in Biology, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Behavioral Neuroscience, Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, or a related field
- Completion of foundational biology coursework with laboratory component
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively as needed
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented with strong critical thinking skills and excel at identifying and solving issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Hands on knowledge and experience basic molecular biology assays (PCR, qPCR, and/or ddPCR, DNA extraction)
- Experience with basic molecular biology assays (DNA extraction, PCR etc)
- Experience pipetting with manual, electronic, and multichannel pipettes
- Experience collaborating effectively within cross-functional teams
- Knowledge and/or experience in gene editing, or willingness to learn
- Independently motivated, detail-oriented, and excellent problem-solving abilities
What We Offer:
- A cutting-edge scientific team open to mentorship and networking
- Full reimbursement for monthly commuting costs including subway, commuter rail, parking, Bluebikes, etc.
- Participation in regular scientific seminars with industry experts
- Full participation in employee activities including learning and development offerings, social activities, etc.
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.