Prime Medicine was founded to bring the promise of gene editing to patients. We use Prime Editing, a next-generation technology that can “search and replace” to restore normal genetic function almost anywhere in the genome. Prime Editing searches to find the precise place in the genome to edit and replaces the segment of faulty DNA with a correct copy of DNA. A single Prime Editor can correct the individual mutations found across patients, meaning Prime Editing can potentially address more than 90 percent of known disease-causing genetic mutations.
We envision a world where this technology can cure, halt, and ultimately prevent genetic diseases, providing lifelong benefit to patients. Prime Medicine offers the opportunity to shape the future of gene editing and transform how medicines are used to treat disease. Realizing the promise of Prime Editing requires a talented team with diversity of viewpoints and expertise. We’re building a group of dedicated, scientifically curious individuals who are passionate about helping patients live longer, healthier lives.
We are currently seeking a motivated, creative, and experienced scientist with expertise in AAV design, development and reagent production. In this position, the candidate will join our multi-pronged AAV delivery platform focused on viral delivery of our prime editing technology. The successful candidate will play a leading role on the viral delivery team, responsible for upstream and downstream processing of research-grade batches of AAV vectors, as well as development and execution of assays for their characterization. The successful candidate will have deep expertise in the development of vectors for gene therapy and/or gene editing, including the design, optimization, production, and characterization of plasmids and AAV-based reagents. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced, evolving research program and be comfortable in a cross-functional role supporting a range of therapeutic areas.
- Independently develop and optimize protocols for production and purification of recombinant AAV vectors, including engineered capsid variants
- Generate recombinant AAV vector reagents using HEK 293 cells
- Provide oversight and management of external CRO/CDMOs to complement internal vector production efforts
- Contribute to AAV delivery innovations for prime editing as a member of cross-functional viral vector team
- Deliver reproducible and impactful results under ambitious timelines
- Maintain thorough electronic lab notebooks and documentation records, and present findings to multi-disciplinary teams in various oral and written formats
- Author, review, and approve protocols, SOPs, technical documents, and reports in support of regulatory submissions
- Mentor, train and teach AAV production and analytical techniques to co-op students and others (direct or indirect)
- PhD with 2+ years postdoctoral experience in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Synthetic Biology, Virology, Bioengineering, or related discipline
- Experience generating AAV vectors for gene therapy/gene editing, including:
- Hands-on experience in PCR and recombinant DNA assembly methodology, including Gibson Assembly, restriction enzyme digestion and ligation, USER cloning, and/or facilitated recombination (e.g. Gateway cloning) methods
- Standard production and purification techniques for common capsid variants, including gradient ultracentrifugation, liquid chromatography, and/or TFF
- Characterization of recombinant AAV particles, including qPCR/ddPCR, protein staining, and capsid ELISA
- Molecular biology techniques, including ddPCR, next generation sequencing (NGS), and DNA/RNA isolation and quantification
- Experience with in vivo delivery of AAV to target tissues including CNS, ocular, auditory or muscle
- Knowledge of relevant animal disease models is a plus
- Strong computational skills and familiarity with DNA sequence analysis tools, database software, biostatistics, and/or basic bioinformatics is desirable
- Proficiency in tissue culture techniques
- Strong publication and presentation record
- Highly self-motivated with ability to own and drive projects
- Demonstrated maturity to lead with influence, work independently, and cohesively as a team player
- Excellent oral, written, and verbal communication skills and the ability to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment
Prime Medicine is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.